Monday, February 9, 2009

Rewriting Scenes



I don't know what's happened to me lately, but I've been sort of bored by television in general. Occasionally, I'll sit down and watch a little bit of television, but I can't even get into shows that used to mildly amuse me. The only thing you'll catch me watchin' is Baby Looney Tunes with my son or Heroes on DVR the next day, but even that has me feeling a little "hard up."

Bored with television, I decided to rewrite some scenes in "Spaceland." Sometimes, it surprises me how much room for improvement there is in a script that I thought was "just fine." Now that I know the actors, and understand how they say lines, it it just suddenly feels inappropriate so I rewrite to suit their energy.

Today, I rewrote about three pages, and they were all pretty significant improvements It just goes to show that as long as things are in pre-production and production (at the same time), I need to constantly improve what I can while I can. If I wasn't bored by television, I would have a worst script to shoot.

Now, I truly know what people say that "it's the small things that count" and "it's in the details." It sounds like something trite to say, but it is quite valid. I'm not one to judge so I won't go as far as saying that tv is evil, but it sure sucks out our creative juices, and that is maybe a little bit evil ( if we really start to think about it).

No comments:

Post a Comment